July 1, 2020
Weeks before the Wisconsin stay-at-home order, we hosted an Onsite Wastewater Training Seminar in Fond du Lac. A Milwaukee School of Engineering (MSOE) professor and student were in attendance and received a business card from Mark Wieser who leads the Portage and Fond du Lac locations. That exchange transpired into an opportunity for MSOE student Josie Starr, who has since become an engineering intern at the Portage plant.
Learn more about our new Engineering Intern, Josie, in the Q&A below!
What’s your work experience prior to Wieser Concrete?
- Worked as a summer intern with a mechanical contractor in Madison, WI. (1901, Inc.)
- Worked as a summer electrical intern with a full-service MEP company in Waukesha, WI. (IBC Engineering services)
- These are just college work experience
Any professional or educational achievements you’d like to include?
- Studying Architectural Engineering at Milwaukee School of Engineering (with a structural specialty).
- I am involved in Habitat for Humanity at my university’s chapter, serving as their treasurer and help organize their collegiate challenge.
- The collegiate challenge is when students go to another state for a week and build a home for other communities.
What are you looking forward to as an employee of Wieser Concrete?
- I am looking forward to working with and learning from Sarah Hochmuth. The products and the engineering here at Wieser Concrete are completely different from what I have been exposed to prior (work experience & academic) and I am excited to work more in this field.
Do you have any hobbies, if so would you mind sharing? Things you like to do for fun?
- I play on the women’s soccer team at MSOE.
- I am a three-sport athlete in the winter: ice skating, skiing, & snowboarding. (non-competitive)
- I mountain bike in the summer
Do you have any family you’d like to share about?
- I am the youngest of two; Michael is my older brother. (lives in Waukesha, WI)
- My family is involved in the Milwaukee Irish Fest that is hosted in the city each year.
- Family is very Irish
- My dad has been a mechanical engineer for over 30 years which is what started my interest in engineering. Which later led me to go into structural engineering.
Anything else fun and exciting you’d like to share?
- I moved around a lot when I was a kid. I was born in Reedsburg, WI, stayed there for about 6 years. Moved to Muskego, WI, lived there for about 6 years. Then lived in the suburbs of Cleveland Ohio for about 5 years.
How did you discover the internship?
- I was actually given Mark Wieser’s business card from a college friend and one of our professors. They met him at the Septic Tank Seminar this past March.
- I was recommended by the professor and I just ended up contacting Mark over email.